Ms. Ammara Farooq Malik, Founder & Director ICx Seplaa International
Ms. Ammara Malik is a seasoned professional with over 23 years of professional experience. As an early starter she got published in the Khaleej Times in UAE at the age of 10, started her first business at the age of 17 and since then started working with the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan and teaching A’Levels at the age of 21 at the Keynesian Institute of Management Sciences.
She has since then taught and worked at the top institutions in Pakistan, including the Punjab University, University College Lahore, Lahore Grammar Schools (55-Main, Johar Town Branch & Defence) , Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Pakistan College of Law and Skans School of Accountancy.
In the legal and development sectors, she has worked with UNICEF, New York University, Creative Associates International (USAID), Hollings Center for International Dialogue, Pak US Alumni Network, Bhandari Naqvi & Riaz, Jus & Rem Attorneys & Corporate Counsellors, and Wyne Malik Law Consultants.
She has contributed several opinion and legal articles to Express Tribune, The News on Sunday, Dawn, Daily Times, Khaleek Times & Frontier Post.
Furthermore, with the ICx Seplaa International she is charged to create a huge impact in the lives of youth, women and professionals by promoting the idea of social entrepreneurship and creating job opportunities to empower others.
Ammara Farooq Malik, Founder & CEO, Seplaa Enterprises and its projects:
- Director, Impact Change Xcelerator (ICx) Seplaa International, Social Enterprise Incubator & International Learning Programs.
- Director, Impact Seplaa World (ISW)Press & Think Tank
- Director, SEPLAA Young Leaders’ Club International
- Director, Seplaa Hub.
Founder & Executive Director, Seplaa Foundation.
- Doctoral Candidate for Executive Doctorate in Business Administration (EDBA), Business School Netherlands, Netherlands.
- Advocate High Courts
- LLM, (Master of Law) 2008, University of London, U.K.
- M.A. Political Science, 2004, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- LL.B., 2002, University of the Punjab, Lahore (With distinctions)
- B.A. 1997, Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore (With distinctions in Economics & French)
Mrs. Ammara Malik has almost 23 years of professional experience as a legal academic, social entrepreneur and development consultant with several legal and research articles published to her credit. She is currently Founder & CEO of ‘Seplaa Enterprises’ which is a consortium of 5 social enterprises and is the Founder of the SEPLAA Foundation which works with children, youth and women in the areas of empowerment and peacebuilding.
Her core projects under Seplaa Enterprises include:
- ICx Seplaa International (Incubator & International Learning Programs)
- Seplaa Young Leaders’ Club International
- Sewegap Women Hub
- Impact Seplaa World Press & Think Tank
- Seplaa Social Entrepreneurs’ Forum of Asia & Middle East (SEFA-ME)
Impact Change Xcelerator (ICx) Seplaa International is the first social entrepreneurship for peacebuilding incubator established in Pakistan was created in 2013. Based on her work Ms. Malik was able to present her research paper on ‘Innovative Solutions to Promote Peacebuilding: A Case Study Analysis of the Social Entrepreneurship for Peacebuilding Model in Pakistan and its Application in Iraqi Kurdistan’ at the International Symposium on Peacebuilding & Education, University of Duhok, Iraq, organized by the UoD in partnership with UNICEF, Center of Global Affairs New York University (USA) and the US Embassy in Iraq. She has also worked as the Project Director of an Umeed Jawan (USAID/OTI) funded SEPLAA Foundation Project ‘Promoting Social Entrepreneurship to build peace through IT and Youth Mobilization’ in South Punjab where her team reached across to almost 2000 direct beneficiaries and 11000 direct and indirect beneficiaries.
Now ICx Seplaa has partnered with Kinnaird College for Women to reach across to 6000 female students from 2017-2020 to give social enterprise development, job readiness and peace trianings.
She also heads the Impact Seplaa World Press & Think Tank which has a pool of international researchers and contributors from Pakistan, USA, Portugal , Iraq, Afghanistan, Nepal, Malaysia and Sri Lanka and numerous articles on law and trade promotion including social entrepreneurship development, climate change and green solutions, regional and international peace and conflict management. She was also the Project Director and Consultant for Peacebuilding Capacity Building Program UK, Pakistan and USA. (Conducted from the UK in partnership with Center for Global Affairs New York University, USA) from April 2011 to June 2014.
She is the Co Founder of the SEW-EGAP (SEPLAA Empowering Women for Economic Growth & Peace) Women Hub that regularly holds National and International Policy Dialogues on ‘Women in Education’, ‘Women & Disability’, ‘Women & Corporate Sustainability’, ‘Women in Climate Change and Development’ along with professional women networking events.
Ms. Malik is presently a doctoral candidate in action-based leadership, social entrepreneurship, and policy at the Business School Netherlands, building on over 18 years of professional experience as a corporate lawyer, law professor, freelance journalist, entrepreneur, social entrepreneur, educationalist and philanthropist. She has an LL.B. and MA in Political Science from the Punjab University, Pakistan and an LL.M. from the University of London, UK. She is a LUMS SEDC Alumna (2010), a US International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) Alumna (2014) and an Executive Development Institute of National School of Public Policy Pakistan Alumna (2015). She is an award-winning international speaker, having presented during various forums and conferences in New York, Washington, D.C., Minneapolis, Turkey, Duhok (Iraq), Maldives and Colombo on peacebuilding, social enterprise development and gap analysis of trade promotion policies, including environment related national and international policies. She is a published researcher and opinion writer with several articles published in The News, Dawn and Express Tribune. She has authored the book ‘Sewegap Women & Leaders of Pakistan’ which is due to launch in 2018 and is presently working on two more book projects on leadership and social enterprise development in Pakistan and the neighboring regions.
Awards & Achievements:
- Selected for the ‘Afghanistan- Pakistan Partnership Summit’ organized by the Hollings Center for International Dialogue in coordination with the U.S. Embassies in Islamabad and Kabul, held in Islamabad and Maldives in January 2017.
- Selected as a ‘Determined Pakistani Woman’ for a publication under ‘My Voice Unheard’ in 2016.
- Selected as Ms. Inspiration 2015 by the US Pakistan Women’s Council, DC in March 2015.
- Selected as one of the top 50 The News Power Women of Pakistan in 2015.
- Selected for and attended the US International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP) for ‘Strengthening Communities’ held in Washington DC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and New Orleans, USA (April-May 2014).
- Profile appears in the Alumni Centenary Book ‘Light Courage Love Kinnaird-100 Years of Empowering Women’ as an empowered Pakistani woman (2013).
- Selected as a Local Champion in Social Entrepreneurship by The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Lahore Chapter based in LUMS. (March 2013)
- Recognized in the book ‘Leading Social Entrepreneurs of Pakistan’ by SURE as an ‘Unsung Hero’ where profile was also published (2012).
Excellence in Management and Organization Skills:
- Selected as a Local Champion in Social Entrepreneurship by The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Lahore Chapter based in LUMS, Lahore, Pakistan. March 2013
- Recognized in the book ‘Leading Social Entrepreneurs of Pakistan’ by SURE as an ‘Unsung Hero’ where profile was also published, Lahore, Pakistan. 2010
- Selected as a Successful Social Entrepreneur to speak at the 2 Day Conference organized by the Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industries & IBA Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan. April, 2010.
Participation as Key Note Speaker, Social Enterprise & Political Economy Expert at National & International Conferences & Seminars:
- Speaker on ‘Social Entrepreneurship Opportunities between Pakistan and Turkey’ at Impact Hub, Istanbul, Feb. 2018.
- Speaker on ‘Social Entrepreneurship & Seplaa’s Journey’ at Altinbas University, Istanbul, Turkey, Feb. 2018.
- Speaker on ‘Social Entrepreneurship Regional Challenges’ in Okan University, Istanbul, Turkey, Feb. 2018.
- Speaker at the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) and Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) Policy Conference on the topic ‘ Provincial Economy, NFC Reforms and Social Sector Development’, December 2017.
- Speaker at the ‘Afghanistan Pakistan Partnership Summit’ on ‘The Role of Social Enterprise in Fostering Partnership between Pakistan and Afghanistan’ organized by the Hollings Center for International Dialogue held at Maldives, January, 2017.
- Guest Speaker at International Women Day dialogue at the Executive Development Institute, National School of Public Policy, March 2016.
- Guest Speaker at the first International Day for Women celebrated at the University of Engineering & Technology, March 2016.
- Speaker at the Pak US Alumni Conference on ‘Sexual Harassment at the Work Place’, held at the Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industries, August 2015.
- Guest Speaker at the Women Empowerment Society Conference at the FC College University. May, 2015.
- Diplomat/ Speaker at F.C. College University Model United Nations (MUN), 2014.
- Invited to give critique and speak after NYU student presentations on peacebuilding projects conducted in different countries, at the Center for Global Affairs, New York University, New York, USA, April 2014.
- Speaker at TABA Education Cluster and Introductory session of iCx & Social Entrepreneurship. Held at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), December 2013.
- Lecture with LUMS BSc. Class on Social Entrepreneurship, April, 2014.
- Speaker at COMSATS University and Introductory session of ICx & Social Entrepreneurship, December 2013.
- Adjudication and Introductory session of ICx & Social Entrepreneurship at Kinnaird Business Week, December 2013
- Speaker at Forman Christian College Universityand Introductory session of ICx & Social Entrepreneurship, Nov. 2013.
- Speaker at ICx SEPLAA Incubator & Islamia University Bahawalpuron ‘Social Entrepreneurship through IT’, 2013.
- Speaker at the TiE Lahore Chapter event ‘Social Entrepreneurs- Celebrating Champions’, LUMS, March, 2013.
- Speaker at FC College University on ‘Social Entrepreneurship’, March 2013.
- Speaker at Punjab University on ‘Social Entrepreneurship’, March 2013.
- Speaker at Plan 9 PITB Tech Incubatoron ‘Social Entrepreneurship’, March 2013.
- Speaker at COMSATS, Lahore on ‘Social Entrepreneurship’, March 2013.
- Speaker at Lahore College for Women University on ‘Social Entrepreneurship’, March 2013.
- Speaker at the Suleman Dawood School of Business, Lahore University of Management Sciences on ‘Leadership Skills’ for MBA students, 2010.
- Speaker on ‘Leadership in Global Affairs’ at TEDx Ravi, Lahore, July, 2010
Policy Research, Presentations & International Conference Papers
- Malik. Ammara Farooq, Financing for Adaption: Need for Enabling Social Enterprise Development in Pakistan for Sustainable Green Solutions, p34, Adapting And Living Under 2 Degrees C: Bridging Gaps in Policy & Practice, 17-19 October 2016, 5th Climate Change Adaptation Forum, Colombo, Sri Lanka, Published by UN Environment Asia and Pacific Office, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Malik, A.F. & Wyne. Z. 2016, ‘Multi-actor cross learning: Engaging Pakistani Women in Climate Change Adaptation’, 88 SEPLAA Foundation, Adapting And Living Under 2 Degrees C: Bridging Gaps in Policy & Practice, 17-19 October 2016, 5th Climate Change Adaptation Forum, Colombo, Sri Lanka, Published by UN Environment Asia and Pacific Office, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Malik, A.F.2016. Lahore Blast and Aftermath: Countering Violent Extremism Civil Society Challenges & Recommendations, ISW Think Tank Research Paper No. 7, submitted to the Government of Punjab on 31st March, 2016.
- Malik, A.F. 2015. Challenges to Promoting Peacebuilding through the Development of Social Enterprises: A comparative study of Pakistan and Sri Lanka’, National Conference on ‘Challenges to Peacebuilding in South Asia’, University of the Punjab.
- Malik, A.F. & Szutkowski, K. 2014. ‘Innovative Solutions to Promote Peacebuilding: A Case Study Analysis of the Social Entrepreneurship for Peacebuilding Model in Pakistan and its Application in Iraqi Kurdistan’, International Symposium on Peacebuilding & Education, University of Duhok, Iraq, organized by the UoD in partnership with UNICEF, Center of Global Affairs New York University (USA) and the US Embassy in Iraq.
- Malik, A.F., 2014. Situational Analysis of the Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (JJSO), UNICEF Pakistan.
- Malik, A.F., 2014. Revised Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (JJSO) and Strategic Recommendations for Implementation of JJSO, UNICEF Pakistan.
- Malik, A.F., 2014, Revised Children Employment Act 1991, UNICEF Pakistan.
Research & Annual Reports
- Malik, A.F., 2015. Final Report of Project on Promoting Social Entrepreneurship for Peace through IT & Youth Mobilization in South Punjab, SEPLAA Foundation & Umeed Jawan/ OTI , Pakistan.
- Malik, A.F., 2014. Final Report of Baseline Study of Interest of Southern Punjab Youth in being part of a Social Entrepreneurship for Peace Incubator, SEPLAA Foundation & Umeed Jawan/ OTI/USAID, Pakistan.
- Founder’s Linkedin Profile
- Founder’s work appreciated in The Daily Times, March, 2015
- Founder’s work appreciated in The New Middle East Blog
- Founder honored as Ms. Inspiration 2015 by the US Pakistan Women’s Council, March 2015
- Founder’s Interviews in:
- Founder as Member of the Election Commission for P@SHA Elections 2013-2014 http://pasha.org.pk/psha-elections-2013/
To request a detailed profile of ICx Seplaa, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.